[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 20 23:15:27 CET 2010

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> This may sound harmless at first, but if we get more VyperLogix
>> folks setting up PyPI mirrors, I'm sure that a lot of developers
>> will not be happy about the PSF being careless about who is allowed
>> to redistribute the PyPI data.
>
> See Tarek's response: not running mirror changes to the PSF board
> doesn't mean that addition of mirrors would be done carelessly.
> In fact, the whole point of PEP 381 is to do careful mirroring.

Sure, the PEP can be used as basis for the decision process, but
someone still has to make the decision to add a mirror or not
and these people should be appointed to by the PSF - much like we
have an infrastructure committee to see after the python.org site.

The situation is a lot like with the Python trademarks:
The good guys always come and ask for permission. The bad guys
don't. In order to go after them we need a clear set of
rules for setting up and running a PyPI mirror and disallowing
setups that don't follow these rules.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 20 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/