[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 12:39:40 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
[..]

>> I have in the past suggested that we consider hosting services at
>> diverse places. I'd have thought this was a prima facie case for
>> distributed hosting facilities. If we have that, we have no need for
>> mirrors, but instead for systems management. I know of at least three
>> reputable US hosting companies who I am pretty sure would help, and a
>> major academic hosting organization too. Also maybe Snakebite might be
>> another location?
>
> That would be my preference as well.
>
> Services like Amazon CloudFront or Akamai could easily scale up to
> millions of users.
>
> Since the PyPI data is already available as set of static files
> (at least from looking at the simple/ index), pushing this through
> such content delivery systems should easily be possible.
>
> Such a setup would avoid all the legalese issues, since the PSF
> would run the infrastructure and also make monitoring the service
> a lot easier.
>
> Moreover, all the complicated stuff like on-demand content
> distribution is handled by those services automatically.

I don't understand why we would bother maintaining such an
infrastructure, since the community itself is willing to maintain
mirrors.

As long as the mirror maintainers are willing to follow our policy,
it's just a matter of defining this policy I think.  And as Martin
said, we have the technical ability to make sure a mirror hasn't
changed
any content in the content mirrorred.

Regards
Tarek