[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jan 21 12:51:44 CET 2010

Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>>> With PEP 381, the bad guys won't get any attention. You can already
>>> run as many public mirrors of PyPI as you want, but nobody will notice.
>>>
>>> To become an official mirror, you have to ask for permission already;
>>> see the PEP.

>>> See the PEP.
>>
>> Like I said: the PEP can be used to document the technical requirements
>> of being accepted as official mirror, but it doesn't cover any
>> of the legal requirements the PSF will need to put in place in
>> order to prevent unofficial mirrors which use the content to
>> e.g. increase their page rank, add advertisement and other
>> drive-by revenue, misrepresent authorship, add malware to popular
>> packages, etc.
>
> As Martin mentioned yesterday, the latter can't happen : see
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/catalog-sig/2009-March/002018.html

I'm not thinking of sites that make the data available to automated
tools like pip which could of course check signatures, etc.

The problem gets real when putting the data up on the web for
users to download via a browser. If they then install directly from
the file without checking signatures, they can easily be tricked
into executing malware - and that would put the original author
of such a package into a pretty bad light.

In any case, that was just a list of examples.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 21 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/