[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 21:17:14 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:08 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
[..]
>> Those scripts already exist and are in usage in the tools that are
>> mirroring pypi. They are not rsync but http calls, but that's about it.
>
> Ok, so that wheel has already been reinvented :-)

That's historical. The HTTP interface existed already and is used by
PIP and al. People built mirroring scripts on the top of it, and used
the changelog file to get the updates.

IOW, this works *today* with the existing software.

Anyways, I guess I'll wait for the PSF decision to continue on that PEP.

Last, if the PSF-maintained cloud-based system is preferred over what
we've worked on,
it would be great if it's still built on the top of an open protocol
that is not tied to a cloud system, because people will be able to use
it for their own PyPI systems.

For instance, plone.org has a PyPI interface nowadays, so people can
upload distributions over there using Distutils. And it could have
mirrors as well. And accurate stats... :)

Regards,
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org