[Catalog-sig] Package Testing on pypi - revisited

David Lyon david.lyon at pythontest.org
Fri Jan 22 02:08:57 CET 2010

Hi Tarek,

> The whole point of the work I've been doing with Martin (partially
> reflected in PEP 381)
> is to be able to have the download statistics for each archive, no
> matter which mirror was used to download the file.  That's quite a
> valuable information.

Perphaps it is valuable.

but what is your take on package metrics information and package
testing ?

Some years ago, well before my time, there was cpants.org. It did
testing of package quality.

That information never seems to have never made it on to the pages
of pypi. That would be *much more* valuable to have.

I've been looking at the cheesecake code and can't half admire all
of the effort that has gone into that package. It would be such
a shame to throw that effort away.

Are we actually abandoning or don't want package testing ?

My take is that the output report could be corrected to take out
offensive english ("kwalitee") and a graph produced to give some
very quick sort of rating.

The whole thing could exist as a 300x200 pixel bitmap perphaps.

I'd be happy to do the work, but need to get your feedback first.

Regards

David