[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jan 22 10:43:01 CET 2010

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:08 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> [..]
>>> Those scripts already exist and are in usage in the tools that are
>>> mirroring pypi. They are not rsync but http calls, but that's about it.
>>
>> Ok, so that wheel has already been reinvented :-)
>
> That's historical. The HTTP interface existed already and is used by
> PIP and al. People built mirroring scripts on the top of it, and used
> the changelog file to get the updates.
>
> IOW, this works *today* with the existing software.
>
> Anyways, I guess I'll wait for the PSF decision to continue on that PEP.
>
> Last, if the PSF-maintained cloud-based system is preferred over what
> we've worked on,
> it would be great if it's still built on the top of an open protocol
> that is not tied to a cloud system, because people will be able to use
> it for their own PyPI systems.
>
> For instance, plone.org has a PyPI interface nowadays, so people can
> upload distributions over there using Distutils. And it could have
> mirrors as well. And accurate stats... :)

Sure :-)

Sorry for spoiling the fun a bit, but like you said: this is a PSF
decision to make and has more strings attached to it than "just"
technical ones.

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 22 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/