[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jan 23 14:05:08 CET 2010

> They can technically, yes, but the fact that they can doesn't
> map to any kind of permission for doing so.

Most certainly it does: everybody is permitted to create mirrors.

> Otherwise, anyone could take any content on the web and copy it
> freely and use it for their own purposes, without having to ask
> for permission or being restricted in the way the content is
> used.

And indeed, everybody can.

> The authors who have signed up since were forced to accept
> terms which do give permission to anyone to do anything
> they like with the content - and that's what started this
> thread: the terms are too permissive to be acceptable.

No, they are not too permissive - they are exactly right.

> The version I proposed restricts those permissions to redistribution by the
> PSF - which is enough to run PyPI services:

If the legal council of the PSF asks me to change anything, I will.
However, I fail to see the point of making such a change. Users *have*
to have permission to make copies of the PyPI content, else PyPI would
be completely pointless. If users don't want stuff they upload to be
copied, they shouldn't upload it. It has always been that way.