[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jan 24 00:57:35 CET 2010

Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 1/23/2010 5:03 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>
>> Indeed, that's what we are discussing here. And, I can only
>> repeat myself: anybody can download the data and redistribute
>> it in any way they like. This is how it is, and how it should
>> be.
>
> Many sites have the restriction that people can download for own use but
> *not* redistribute, at least not publicly.

Can you give examples of such sites (preferably examples where the
content is not originally owned by the site distributing it)?

> And people should *not* be
> able to 'redistribute in any way they like', for instance with claim of
> authorship or copyright or malware attached.

Either case would involve modification. Copying and creating derivative
works are fairly different, so when one is granted people wouldn't
assume to have the other as well.