[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 25 21:35:10 CET 2010

On 1/25/2010 9:39 AM, VanL wrote:

> Also see MvL for the thought that went into the current wording. As I
> have stated before, the wording doesn't grant the PSF the authority to
> relicense or make derivative works of the content. Rather, it allows the
> PSF (and mirrors, and people who use PyPI) to reproduce exactly the
> content that was uploaded to PyPI.

If that is what you mean, then why are not you willing to say exactly
that, instead of 'unrestricted ...', which to me means 'unrestricted'.

I checked the Flickr Terms of Service and it pretty much says just what
you say above. To paraphrase, "By uploading content, you grant us all
the rights we need to distribute it via any of our servers as part of
the normal operation of our web site service."

Flickr is also more fair about the term of the agreement. Since they do
not want to incur a perpetual obligation and indeed want the right to
cease distribution and even terminate accounts at will, they allow Users
to do the same.

Terry Jan Reedy