[Catalog-sig] PyPI mirror system is up

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:40:34 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Fred Drake <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 3:57 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> The mirror system described in PEP 381 is implemented.
>> We have three mirror available for clients to use,
>> [bcd].pypi.python.org.
>
> Thanks, Martin!
>
> Are the mirrors geographically dispersed?

IIRC There are two or three in Germany, I intend to run one in France.
We would need one in Asia from a trusted member of the community.

The next step will be to add a geoloc feature, but PyPI DNS doesn't
have such feature,
so I was thinking about having some kind of ping mechanism from the
client to sort
the mirrors by round trip duration.

There's a branch for mirroring support in distribute, and a first
version without the sorting, should be out soon.

Distutils2 already has mirrors support in trunk.

Cheers
Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org