[Catalog-sig] Monitoring for PyPI

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Mon Jul 19 19:34:40 CEST 2010

Hi folks --

So PyPI's down again this morning.

This isn't about that, though: apparently nobody with the appropriate
access knew anything about it until I asked in IRC and someone there
was able to ping Martin and get things up again.

That's some weaksauce right there. PyPI shouldn't rely on
monitoring-via-complaints-in-IRC.

I would be happy to set up a monitoring server to monitor PyPI's
availability and notify the appropriate parties via email, SMS, or any
other mechanism.

I can have this done by tomorrow afternoon if I can get the necessary
contact information and if the people with the appropriate access are
willing to be paged when things go down.

I'm going to start with the setup right now on the assumption that
this is a valuable service. If those with access are unwilling to be
notified, though, please let me know so I don't waste too much time.

Thanks!

Jacob