[Catalog-sig] Proposal to Reverse Ordering of Scraped Links in PyPI

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jul 27 18:12:37 CEST 2010

At 12:21 PM 7/27/2010 +0200, Konrad Delong wrote:
> >> This *already* causes problems for pypi maintenance.
> >
> > For some time now, easy_install uses the '/simple' index (specifically
> > intended for automated tools' consumption), rather than the human-oriented
> > pages.  Among other benefits, the /simple index can be served or mirrored
> > statically, rather than being generated anew on each hit.
>
>To my understanding, simple index version encoding cannot be reliable
>(see [1], about this time: 2010-07-21T10:07:02 ).
>
>However, json interface sounds like a good trade-off here.
>
>Konrad
>

>[1] http://weblion.psu.edu/chatlogs/%23distutils/2010/07/21.txt

I don't understand what you mean by "version encoding cannot be
reliable", even after reading the transcript above.

I did figure out that the problem you're talking about is with
distutils2's PyPI support, and that further, distutils2's PyPI
support is derived from easy_install's, but substantially changed in
some areas.

So, it's quite possible that the changes broke things that the
original in setuptools was doing, so you might want to check whether
the problem you're experiencing also exists in setuptools.  (And I'd
appreciate a bug report at the setuptools tracker if it does.)