[Catalog-sig] PyPI down again...

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jun 11 23:06:21 CEST 2010

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> For a smaller project, start putting mirror support into setuptools or
> distribute; this would make short (several hours) outages less severe
> for the class of users that want permanent availability for downloading.
> It's unlikely that the mirrors would break when the master goes down;
> they just stop mirroring.

A better and cleaner strategy is to put the static PyPI information
up on Amazon Cloudscape and have DNS take care of providing local
mirrors (edge servers) to setuptools et al.

Such a setup won't require any complicated mirror logic in any
of the existing client tools.

By moving the PyPI installation to Amazon AWS, we could also
get the RPC access distributed to more than just one server.

As I said before, the PSF infrastructure committee needs to get on
of the job of getting this implemented (including funding this
development).

If someone wants to volunteer helping with the setup, please contact
the PSF at psf at python.org.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 11 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                37 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/