[Catalog-sig] PyPI down again...

Mathieu Leduc-Hamel marrakis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 14:27:13 CEST 2010

Hi Martin,

> You should be able to get access to the Python sandbox repository and
> add your project there:
>
> http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/
>
> If that's not an option, I'd suggest you have a look at one of the
> other public repo sites such as launchpad.

Right now I'm working with Tarek Ziade on a clone of the PyPi repository
sourcecode on bitbucket, that way, it allowed tarek to keep an eye the
modifications I made on the source code since double checking any changes is
very important, as you said, for this type of project.

> Note that working on PyPI needs a somewhat different development
> approach since any changes will be run on a live system.
>
> In my experience the best way to do this is by gradually changing things
> (rather than introduce big structural changes such as using SA
> instead of a native adapter) and keeping a close eye on the log
> files for any problems.

That's why I was working to implement a better unit testing coverage. I
would like to modernize a little bit the source code of pypi cause i think
in the future there will some major structural changes of the code. Having a
great test coverage will allow us to change the code and be less afraid of
making mistakes.

You know implementing SA is one of the many goal I would like to achieve,
but I think the structural change you were proposing might need too some
major changes to code base if we want to it properly.

Maybe it would be easier to switch to the official mercurial repository (
hg.python.org), it would allow a better collaboration between everybody who
would like to contribute.

And if you want to see the changes I'll proposed, you could see it at:

http://bitbucket.org/mtlpython/pypi

(it will be merge in the tarek's repos soon)

> --

Marc-Andre Lemburg