[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jun 15 14:44:36 CEST 2010

Michael Crute <mcrute at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:49 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> > As mentioned, I've been working on a proposal text for the cloud
> > idea. Here's a first draft. Please have a look and let me know
> > whether I've missed any important facts. Thanks.

If “the cloud” in this proposal means “some single organisation or
individual”, I don't think the situation is thereby improved much.

> What about a set of volunteer mirrors of PyPi similar to the way CPAN
> and Linux distributions handle this problem. pypi.python.org? That
> approach eliminates any cost for the PSF and might ultimately result
> in better reliability.

+1.

A distributed system of mirrors administrated by disparate organisations
and/or individuals also greatly reduces the reliance on any individual
or organisation, helping reduce the inherent risks of both conflict of
interest and single-point-of-failure.

--
 \          “Rightful liberty is unobstructed action, according to our |
  `\        will, within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of |