[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability

Mathieu Leduc-Hamel marrakis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 16:42:53 CEST 2010

> I think the most important missed fact is, just how unreliable is PyPI
> currently? Does anyone know?

Exactly my point, right now, since the code is not completely clear  and not
tested we don't really know what's supposed to worked and how.

It's really a problem when the only way you have to know if something goes
wrong is when your users start complaining...

> I don't think this means what you seem to think it means. If you replace
> a single point of failure with N points of failure, your overall
> reliability goes down, not up, since there are now more things to go
> wrong. Assuming that they're independent points of failure, that means
> your total number of failures will increase by a factor of N.

This is why we should work on the heart the problem problem, pypi itself and
why it's down sometime.

Nobody know exactly what happen, maybe it's not a performance problems.

As you said, we may have the same problem in the future on all mirroring
nodes ...