[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jun 15 18:10:31 CEST 2010

Michael Crute wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:49 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> As mentioned, I've been working on a proposal text for the cloud idea.
>> Here's a first draft. Please have a look and let me know whether I've
>> missed any important facts. Thanks.
>
> What about a set of volunteer mirrors of PyPi similar to the way CPAN
> and Linux distributions handle this problem. pypi.python.org? That
> approach eliminates any cost for the PSF and might ultimately result
> in better reliability. With the volunteer mirror system you would
> still statically generate the files and just make them available for
> rsync then setup a page to allow mirrors to register (see CPAN). If
> you take this approach I would be happy to donate a mirror to the
> pool.

Thanks for the offer.

Setting up such a network based on PSF partner organizations (to avoid
the legal problems) would work indeed, but it would both take
longer to setup and require more work on the administration side.

I still think that the cloud proposal is more cost effective
and faster to setup.

If it doesn't work out, we can always go back to such a network
of servers that we administer on our own.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 15 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                33 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/