[Catalog-sig] PyPI down again...

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 23:39:35 CEST 2010

2010/6/15 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>> As a maintainer of the PyPI project, it makes your workflow simpler,
>>
>> - contributors can clone the repo, change the code and ask you for a pull
>> - you can pull changes by direct hg commands, and merge them
>
> After using Mercurial in one project, I'm skeptical that this really makes
> things simpler. I find it very hard to find out what changes a specific
> clone has that I still need to integrate.

If the clone is used as an unsynced copy of the repository for various
works, you are right, it can become a nightmare !

I think the best practice is to make sure the clone is a fresh synced
one, containing only the commits you want to push
in the "main" repo so the reviewer has a clean understanding when you
ask for the pull;

An alternative approach is to use the queue system Mercurial has,
which are commands that create patches
you can then send to the reviewers. You can even use a tool like
CodeReview in that case. Then I guess I doesn't
really matter if the main repo is svn or hg..

> Also, when merging with conflicts,
> I find it very difficult to determine whether I merged all the conflicts
> correctly (since the diff will show all changes, not just the conflicts).
>
> So I rather expect things to become more difficult when switching to hg.

Well I guess it's up to you anyway :)

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org