[Catalog-sig] Renaming packages

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Wed Jun 16 18:39:32 CEST 2010

Howdy folks --

I've received a request from the Debian and Ubuntu maintainers to
rename one of my packages [1] so that it'd comply better with the
Debian/Ubuntu naming standards. I'd like to help them out, and ideally
I'd like to rename my package on PyPI to match the name that APT will
use. However, as far as I can tell there's no real mechanism for
renaming packages on PyPI: if I change the name, everyone's
pip/buildout dependencies will just fail until they, too, update the
name.

Ideally, I'd expect PyPI to give me a renaming mechanism that'd issue
the proper redirects from the old name to the new. Apologies if I'm
just not seeing a feature that's already there; if it's not, though,
are there any plans for this in the future? Or any other bright ideas?

Thanks!

Jacob

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-cloudservers