[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jun 17 09:36:01 CEST 2010

> For such packages: send out an email to the package maintainer informing
> him about the problem and instructing him to fix the problem within N days.
>
> After N days: recheck the package state and unregister the package if
> necessary.
>
> Or perhaps a less rude approach: introduce status field for each package
> (ACTIVE/INACTIVE) and set the state to INACTIVE when the package does
> not comply with this policy. Inactive packages won't be listed on PyPI
> and won't be searchable on PyPI. Inactive status should be visible
> to the author (in logged-in state) with some warning "Package is
> inactive..please upload your sdist....).

Ok. If nobody opposes to this right now, it's fine with me as well.
However, I won't be able to work on this for several months to come.

IMO, it's a waste of energy: if a package is useless, just don't use it,
and be done. There are many packages on PyPI that are useless to me
despite having a source release.