[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jun 17 14:38:01 CEST 2010

On 17 Jun, 2010, at 13:20, Patrick Gerken wrote:

> Please have a look at the package in question. The only problem
> with it is that the download URL registered on PyPI no longer works.
> It redirects to the download page where you can find the source
> distribution.
>
> And thats exactly what Andreas' argument is targeting.

Note that even a requirement to upload a package to PyPI won't reliably solve Andreas' problem, the package owner could remove a release or even the entire package.   In an ideal world there would be no reasons for removing a package, but as we don't live in such a world there are valid reasons for wanting to remove a package. One example is being sued by some organization that claims you're using their IP without a license.

Ronald