[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

Patrick Gerken do3ccqrv at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 17 15:10:37 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 14:55, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:20:55 pm Patrick Gerken wrote:
> > Not putting the source release on pypi is just one indicator of
> > crappy software.
>
> Yeah, like that infamous example of crappy software, Numpy.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/numpy/1.4.1

I am sorry if I offended you. I do not call every software that does not
release sources
on pypi crappy. I also don't call numpy crappy.

Now, please tell me what you would do if sourceforge changes its url and
returns a
404 on the old download page. Would you update all release informations?
If not, the next time I run a buildout where the configuration requires
numpy in an old version
and the download link is broken, my buildout breaks too. And there might be
reasons why
I stick to a specific older version.
Thats what I would like to avoid.

Best regards,