[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Jun 17 19:40:29 CEST 2010

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> If you ship Python-only packages with precompiled .pyc/.pyo
> files, you do need to upload one version per Python version.
> The marshal format and pyc magic often changes between releases.

Once again: I am talking about the majority of packages that are neither
commercial nor shipping without the Python source code.

>  * make PyPI itself more robust and stable (we're working on that)

PyPI is pretty robust and this has nothing to do with packages hosted
externally.

>  * improve the tools to make both uploads and downloads
>    easier (perhaps you could help with this)

What can be easier than

python setup.py register upload

?

Uploading a package to your own server is likely more complicated than
an upload to PyPI.

> Suggesting that they can never remove a release from PyPI
> or are not allowed to rename a package is not going to
> attract more developers to PyPI.

I would not care about such developers. Someone renaming or removing a
release and (intentionally breaking) the setup of other people acts
irresponsible.

The basic question is: do we want PyPI being a reliable and valuable
community resource or a partly unflushed package toilet?

Andreas

- --
ZOPYX Limited           | zopyx group
Charlottenstr. 37/1     | The full-service network for Zope & Plone
D-72070 Tübingen        | Produce & Publish
www.zopyx.com           | www.produce-and-publish.com