[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jun 18 01:20:35 CEST 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 04:11:19 pm Christian Zagrodnick wrote:
> > On 2010-06-17 06:22:32 +0200, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> said:
> > >  - one release of registered package on PyPI _must_ contain
> > >    a valid source code distribution (sdist)
>
> -1000
>
> Please take your religious wars elsewhere.

Please address the substance of the proposal. It's neither religious,
nor anything to do with war.

> Python might be open source software, but there is no requirement that
> only open source software can be written in Python, and PyPI is for
> all Python developers, not just FOSS developers.

True enough. It could be otherwise, though, so the proposal is hardly
deserving of the slurs you hurled in your first paragraphs.

--
 \         “We now have access to so much information that we can find |
  `\  support for any prejudice or opinion.” —David Suzuki, 2008-06-27 |