[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jun 18 04:57:33 CEST 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 03:40:29 am Andreas Jung wrote:
> > The basic question is: do we want PyPI being a reliable and valuable
> > community resource or a partly unflushed package toilet?
>
> The basic question is, who has the right to control the packages indexed
> on PyPI? Is it the package author, or you?

That doesn't seem to be a question that addresses Andreas's argument (as
I understand it). I don't see Andreas arguing for anyone but the
copyright holder to have control of the *package*.

Rather, a more germane question would be: Who has the right to control
*which* packages get indexed at PyPI (of all those that might be
submitted to the index)?

My understanding is that Andreas is arguing that PyPI does, and should,
have that control; and that control can be exercised in different ways.

--
 \      “Often, the surest way to convey misinformation is to tell the |
  `\               strict truth.” —Mark Twain, _Following the Equator_ |