[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

Patrick Gerken do3ccqrv at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 18 10:49:04 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:59, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> All of which make it impossible to reliably and repeatably deploy
> arbitrary software configurations (directly) from PyPI.  Managing your
> own project-specific index is the only real solution.

When I provide buildout configurations for open source packages I
don't like to provide a custom index for them. It increases the effort
if they would like to test the same package with newer versions, want
to update the known good set or would like to extend the package.

For customer project its a very good solution, I agree.

Best regards,

          Patrick