[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

Mark Ramm mark at geek.net
Fri Jun 18 18:47:21 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:41 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> It does?  I thought PyPI kept everything around (but hidden) unless the
>> author went in and manually deleted old stuff.  You just need to go to a
>> deep link, e.g., http://pypi.python.org/pypi/SomePackage/0.1
>
> Sure, but owners *do* manually delete old stuff.

Am I wrong in remembering that old packages get dropped from the
simple index?

I'm not saying they get deleted from the server, but they are made
unavailable to easy_install without special knowledge of how to get
them,   So old packages can have requirements in setup.py which become
unavailable  for simple install.

--Mark