[Catalog-sig] Rewrite PyPI for App Engine?

Michael Crute mcrute at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 01:05:21 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I would very much like to see pypi start using chishop. I've been
>> working to implement the complete set of features that pypi supports
>> (including the mirroring PEP) for use inside of the company I work
>> for. The code is in reasonably good shape and I would love to see that
>> become the official implementation of PyPi. Though I haven't tested it
>> I don't see any reason that it wouldn't run on AppEngine with no
>> additional work.
>
> AFAICT, it is still way off being a replacement for PyPI. Where are the
> rendered web pages? Where is the account management? Where is file
> upload, documentation upload? Browsing for classifiers? and so on.
>
> This looks just like the simple index to me.

Yes, in it's current state it's pretty basic. We are working on
rolling out an internal version of PyPi at work to assist with
distribution of our applications so I'm working on full compatibility
with the official PyPi. We're still a little ways out but are moving
in the right direction.

I'm maintaining a todo list within my fork at
http://github.com/mcrute/chishop/blob/master/TODO and would very much
appreciate any input you might have as to which features are most
important for official compatibility and what is missing from that
list.

--
Michael E. Crute
http://mike.crute.org

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problem just with
potatoes. --Douglas Adams