[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 01:08:28 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:47 PM,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
[..]

> There are (multiple!) open source implementations of the Amazon API.  If
> Amazon decides to discontinue their cloud services (something I doubt should
> really be one of the top ten concerns here), then anyone else can set up
> their own cloud with the same interface.
>
> If I were going to run a PyPI mirroring service, I'd probably want to do it
> this way *anyway* because managing virtual machines is far easier than
> managing actual hardware.

I am not arguing in particular against Amazon, or any other service.
This is an implementation detail.

My point is that having a ring of mirrors (whatever technology each
one of these mirror
uses) is better than setting up an infrastructure at Amazon ourselves
(we will have to maintain), to solve our availability issues.

Exactly because "anyone else can set up their own cloud (or whatever)
with the same interface".

In other words, the mirroring protocol is the interface that will give
us this availability, by switching to a server that is available, when
another one is down, be it the main PyPI itself

> So there are probably many other much more significant issues to be worrying
> about.

Not sure what you mean here. If it's in general, I completely agree. I
have a very long list :)

Regards

Tarek

--