[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jun 19 01:57:45 CEST 2010

At 01:07 AM 6/19/2010 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>Am 18.06.2010 18:47, schrieb Mark Ramm:
>>>
>>>Sure, but owners *do* manually delete old stuff.
>>
>>Am I wrong in remembering that old packages get dropped from the
>>simple index?
>
>You are indeed misremembering. They used to, but don't, any longer,
>on user request.

How many users?  I'm thinking it might be better to meet this use
case the way pip does -- i.e., look up the specific version when a
specific hidden version is requested, but otherwise only show active
versions.  The current behavior makes it harder for package authors
to control what versions are automatically installable by default.