[Catalog-sig] Rewrite PyPI for App Engine?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 19 10:10:30 CEST 2010

> I briefly played with the current implementation and found it
> somewhat difficult to work with. Part of the problem is that the code
> is dated

Can you please explain what that means? What is "dated code", how do you
recognize it, and why does it make it difficult to work with?

> The other part of the problem is that
> there are too many dependencies and replicating the environment
> required to run the official code is somewhat painful. For my uses I
> really don't want to run postgres just to serve a version of the
> cheeseshop.

Hmm. If setting up postgres is already considered a burden, I guess
I understand the problem. However, dependency-wise, I'd argue that
PyPI fares much better than many of the packages on PyPI. It's list
of dependencies is really short.