[Catalog-sig] Rewrite PyPI for App Engine?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 11:21:56 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Almir Karic <almir at almirkaric.com> wrote:
> i would like to help out with the move.
>
> is anyone actually opposed to moving to GAE (either moving the current
> code base or re-write, whichever seems more appropriate)?

Could you summarize the motivations for such a move ?

ISTM that the problem is more about the management of PyPI, rather
than its code.

Here's my summary:

1 - PyPI was down less than 2 days in 365 days IIRC. PyPI lacks of
sysadmins, we need more in several timezone. A sysadmin just relaunch
the service, like MvL or Jannis did.

2 - Some people in the community are frustrated with the current
process of getting a feature in PyPI. I don't have a strong opinion in
this but I think having the code in a DVCS would be better.
hg.python.org would open the codebase to all python core comitters,
and people would be able to request pulls.

Sure, writing something in GSOC would be fun, but if we want to
address the real problems, its not in the code field imo.

Regards
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org