[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability (version 2)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 29 23:22:55 CEST 2010

> I'm surprised, what specific mod_wsgi configuration did you try?

Not sure I understand the question:

WSGIDaemonProcess pypi display-name=wsgi-pypi processes=10 threads=1
maximum-requests=2000
WSGIProcessGroup pypi
WSGIPassAuthorization On
WSGIScriptAlias /pypi /data/pypi/src/pypi/pypi.wsgi
WSGIScriptAlias /simple /data/pypi/src/pypi/pypi.wsgi

According to the bzr log, I reverted that because Python would crash
(with a core dump).

>     > PyPI right now is really quite reliable,
>     > these small changes would I think be low-risk and less likely to
>     > introduce new problems while addressing what I suspect is the
>     source of
>     > problems.
>
>     I disagree that these are small and low-risk. The WSGI switch will risk
>     stability; the others (generate static pages) will not be small, and
>     risk correctness.
>

> I don't really know how to describe "small" or "low-risk"... maybe I
> should say "smaller" and "lesser-risk" than the full CDN proposal.

Ah, ok - relatively speaking.

That is certainly true: the CDN proposal has more risk to not work
correctly.