[Catalog-sig] Where is the link?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Mar 9 19:11:05 CET 2010

On 3/8/2010 6:50 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> "Martin v. Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de>  writes:
>> What should be the exact position and label of that link?
>
> That's up to you, really, as the hand at the helm for the design of the
> site. The user is expressing a need; that need has to be addressed in
> the context of what all the other users need, including the need for a
> consistent UI.
>
> It's not appropriate for each user to design individual pieces of the
> UI, otherwise the result will inevitably be an inconsistent mess.

You must have had a bad night last night. Python, its docs, and site are
nothing but *filtered* collaborative efforts. It is appropriate for
users to do the harder work of suggesting solutions to problems in
addition to the easier work of presenting problems. We need more of
that, not less. Busy component managers can then accept, reject, or
modify (including for consistency).

Terry Jan Reedy