[Catalog-sig] categories for alternative pythons and python likes? pypy/ironpython/jython/shedskin/pymite/etc

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 17:03:43 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 9:22 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> The question then really is: how to get package authors to actually use
> these categories?

The real problem with categories like this is that if they only
indicate that the package has been tested (and the tests pass) with
that implementation of Python, there's no way to tell if the tests
failed with another implementation, or if they simply weren't run.

I'd use them if we could also indicate that the package doesn't work
with certain implementations.  This would also apply to some other
groups other classifiers, such as those for the operating system.
Perhaps there should be something like a "not :: <classifier>" as
well, to indicate known non-support for operating system or Python
implementation (or possibly other things, but not sure what else at
this time).

  -Fred