[Catalog-sig] The "Softpedia" spam

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri May 7 09:47:21 CEST 2010

Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
> I think most FOSS authors are aware that putting their email in a package is effectively putting it in the clear on the internet. I think we have come beyond the days of "noah (at) coderanger [dot] net" and all those silly tricks that were popular not too long ago. If an author is excessively concerned about spam, they shouldn't put their email in author_email. Is that field mandatory now or something? Softpedia is a little annoying with the emails, but I've found them useful personally (along with versiontracker) when looking for OS X software before. Freshmeat is a similar index of FOSS projects, and I've definitely used that before. Is there some reason we are objecting to including PyPI data in other software catalogs? If it makes it a tiny bit easier to find Python software, I'm all for it.

No, but the PSF should be asked for permission before using the data
on some other site.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 07 2010)
2010-04-23: Released mxODBC.Zope.DA 2.0.1        http://zope.egenix.com/

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/