[Catalog-sig] Uploading existing source distributions

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat May 8 20:19:18 CEST 2010

setup.py sdist builds project distributions (tarballs, zip files, eggs,
...), even if they're already built.

I'd like to build source distributions, test them, then upload
byte-for-byte identical source distributions to PyPI.  However, the only
way I know to upload zip files using the upload command involves also
running sdist:

python setup.py sdist --formats=gztar,zip upload

Presumably that will cause sdist to rebuild the distributions, causing the
md5sums to change (presumably due to timestamps)

Of course, it works OK to just rebuild source distributions with identical
inputs after testing, but it's an annoyance that you can't just point
setup.py upload at an already-built source distribution.

Has anybody figured out how to do that?  Or is there some other automated
means of uploading existing source distributions to PyPI?  The latter
would need to set the appropriate metadata, as setup.py upload does, as
well as uploading the files themselves.

John