[Catalog-sig] ANN: PyPM Index - build notification by author; import data

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Fri Nov 26 01:40:55 CET 2010

On 11/25/2010 4:05 PM, Alexis Métaireau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any place other than here to make some feedback on what you're
> proposing via pypm ?

There is a 'Give Site Feedback' link in the footer of the site. Or
activepython-feedback at activestate.com - but you can also directly email me.

> I can see that the emails appears in clear for instance, and I don't
> think it is a good idea. Spammers bots are looking for that.

Actually, they don't. Emails are obfustcated using ROT13 and decoded in
the browser. Take a look at the HTML source.

> Also, even if the service you propose is great (that's good to know
> there are some ways to get binary packages easily), adding another tool
> (pypm) to the stack, and refering only to this one on your pages seems a
> bit confusing. People start to use tools like setuptools/distribute and
> pip, and, oh, there is another one !

I suppose we could discuss about the *relation* between the various
tools in the site FAQ: pip and easy_install are primarily source-based
installers (except - easy_install supports egg/binst too), while PyPM is
a binary-based installer .. somewhat similar to apt-get/rpm. I generally
recommend <http://goo.gl/mUTBd> ActivePython users to install the
package using PyPM, and only if that fails, attempt the same using
pip/easy_install ... which could also go to the FAQ.

> Otherwise, I think you're adding some great things to the current index:
> I do like to have a feed with the failing builds and the list of imports
> with the same name.

I'm glad that you like it!

-srid