[Catalog-sig] PEP 345 Update

Jeremy Kloth jeremy.kloth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 00:50:08 CEST 2010

On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 04:35:57 pm P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 09:30 PM 10/5/2010 +0100, Alexis Métaireau wrote:
> >We have to think about this conlict scope, because we do not agree on
> >that too: are the fields made for "installation scope", or for "running
> >scope".
>
> Quick summary of my previous comments on this point:
>
> * In the simplest case, installation conflict equals conflicting
> files -- which any installation tool *must* be able to handle on its
> own. (Otherwise, it will break in the event of an undeclared conflict.)

Here you are assuming that a file list exists for the given distribution.
sdists, for one, do not contain this.

What about tools that operate just on the metadata?  For example, determining
what distributions to download.  It would be impossible for that to work.  It
seems to me that you are seeing this problem only from an *installing*
standpoint.

--
Jeremy Kloth