[Catalog-sig] Getting a last modified date for the trove classifiers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 20 00:32:43 CEST 2010

> We are keeping a copy of
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=list_classifiers in distutils2 for
> our browsing needs and we would like to update that cache only if it
> has changed. Instead of doing a custom and inefficient diff in the
> client code, could we add at PyPI a Last-Modified or an ETag header
> for that page, and check for a If-Last-Modified or Etag on requests ?
> and return a 304 in case the content has not changed
>
> If Martin agrees I can write the patch

Sure, go ahead. I recommend to make journal entries for added
classifiers, and then select order by submitted_date desc limit 1
to find out when the last classifier was added. With that, all
change notification machineries will also learn about new classifiers.

If you are ambitious, you can also add if-modified-since support.