[Catalog-sig] PyPI syndication format (was: RSS 2.0)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 13 06:01:36 CEST 2010

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2987704&group_id=66150&atid=513506

I can't read that to see what the details are. The page returned says:

    ERROR
    Artifact: This Artifact Has Been Made Private. Only Group Members Can
    View Private ArtifactTypes.

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> > If changing the protocol used is an option, would it not be better
> > to use an actual specified standard: the Atom syndication protocol
> > <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_%28standard%29>?
>
> For the issue at hand, certainly not: Atom does not have the enclosure
> element.

Which syndication are we talking about? I don't see enclosures used for
<URL:http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=rss>, which seems quite
replaceable with standard Atom syndication.

If the issue you're referring to is described at the above Sourceforge
URL, then someone with access to it will need to summarise what the
salient points are.

Regardless, it seems that the main syndication could switch to standard
Atom syndication without losing useful information.

--
 \      “How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.” |
  `\                                                      —Emo Philips |