[Catalog-sig] PyPI syndication format

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 13 09:12:18 CEST 2010

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> > I'm not sure what this means (“on the same URL”). Does the above
> > clarification help?
>
> No. Currently, the RSS is provided at
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=rss
>
> Are you proposing that, when accessing this very URL, an Atom
> content should be returned?

Ah, I understand. No, it would be inappropriate for that URL to serve an
Atom document.

> If not: Are you in favor, opposed to, or indifferent to the proposal
> of adding the enclosure element to the RSS, along with incrementing
> the RSS version number?

I'm in favour of the issue reported originally be solved by skipping any
changes to the RSS altogether (leave the existing one for a time, of
course) and using Atom syndication, since AFAICT it provides all the
requirements discussed so far but in addition is properly specified and
standardised.

--
 \     “The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is |
  `\       required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long |