[Catalog-sig] PyPI syndication format

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Sep 13 09:40:32 CEST 2010

> I'm in favour of the issue reported originally be solved by skipping any
> changes to the RSS altogether (leave the existing one for a time, of
> course) and using Atom syndication, since AFAICT it provides all the
> requirements discussed so far but in addition is properly specified and
> standardised.

I don't think this ("all the requirements discussed so far") is actually
the case. In the report, the reporter specifically asks for AppCast
support, and elaborates that this is what

http://connectedflow.com/appcasting/

says, which in turn says

# Appcasting is the practice of using the 'enclosure' feature of RSS
# 2.0 feeds

So, by nature, Atom can't possibly support Appcasting.

I also wonder why you keep saying that RSS is not properly specified.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/rss/rss.html

looks like a fine specification to me (but this really is a side issue;
another is the use of the word "syndication": I don't know what it
means, I then always think of organized crime and corruption - PyPI
is not a member of any syndicate).