[Catalog-sig] egg_info in PyPI

Jannis Leidel jannis at leidel.info
Fri Sep 17 22:02:10 CEST 2010

On 17.09.2010, at 20:43, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Here at the DZUG conference, we are planning to integrate explicit access to setuptools metadata to the package index.
>
> The current idea is to store the contents of the egg_info directory,
> giving remote access to specific files. By default, PyPI will extract,
> per release, data from the egg that may get uploaded (using the first
> one if multiple eggs get uploaded). If no egg gets uploaded, a VM
> based build service will generate it from a source distributions.
> Tools like setuptools or distribute could also directly upload this
> information, e.g. as part of the register command.
>
> Any opinions?

I'm confused, wouldn't that basically be a slap in the face for the people having worked on PEP345 and distutils2, especially during the Summer of Code?

Also, and I understand enthusiasm tends to build up during conferences, but wouldn't supporting setuptools' egg-info directory again be a step backwards after all those months of discussion about the direction of Python packaging?

Jannis