[Catalog-sig] [Python-Dev] egg_info in PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 18 15:21:49 CEST 2010

> No. See above comment. If exposing this information has no value then
> don't do it. If it does have value, then we are blessing it - and
> therefore blessing it *over* other formats.

No: not *over*. Only over formats that don't get exposed. However,
the PEP 345 data are *already* exposed, via HTML, JSON, XML-RPC.
So they are much more prominently presented than what I'm proposing
to do. I fail to see why just extracting the egg-info would be
exposing it *over* the PEP 345 data.

Oops, see http://pypi.python.org/pypi/tl.eggdeps

> As in exported by PyPI though an API / interface?

Sure. See, for example,

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pep345demo/json

It's also available through the XML-RPC release_data.

> Saying that they *could* is more empty words if
> our *actions* promote the use of another format.

But they do. Please stop saying that they might not, when they actually
do (and have been for a while).

>> It's just that no package is using it (except for pep345demo).
>>
>> As for a bit: how long exactly?
> Distutils2 1a2 will be released in the next few days.

Sure. But when can tools computing dependencies for widely used packages
actually expect that these metadata will be available?

> Promoting another format in preference to distutils2 will very much
> prolong that.

IT WILL BE NOT IN PREFERENCE TO DISTUTILS2.