[Catalog-sig] egg_info in PyPI

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 22:25:17 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> IMHO, most of this has been resolved by means of the XML-RPC
>> interface via the .release_data() method:
>>
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPiXmlRpc
>>
>> If there's something missing, we should add it there.
>
> Very clearly, most of egg-info is missing there. However, I
> sense that people are very opposed to adding it there.
>
> I merely asked whether it was ok to expose the egg-info
> data at all, and was met with strong opposition - nobody
> actually asked what specific API to expose them I had in
> mind.

If the use case is to provide a way to build a dependency graph just
by querying PyPI, that's exactly what we have in mind in pep 345.

Now, the strong opposition is because you are proposing something that
doesn't work in all cases as I mentioned, and that can be done
accurately by downloading the package then calling egg_info, like how
pip does for installing a package. Which is I think good enough until
pep 345 is used. Slower, but accurate.

Regards
Tarek

--