[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Tue Apr 5 22:38:55 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> I maintain that the answer to that question is the same as before:
> it is helpful to the users of the package.

How?

Am I dense? I fail to see what "0/5" or "3/5" or "5/5" does. It's a
piece of data, sure, but so is 17, 10045.223, and 4/7. But none of
these provide any *information*.

> In any case, the community had agreed to to allow rating but to
> make commenting optional (at the package author's choice). I don't
> see what has changed since.

Who is this "community" you speak of, and when and where did "they"
agree? I don't see a single person other than you stepping up to
defend this ill-considered feature.

Jacob