[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Apr 5 23:07:53 CEST 2011

> But once again: why is it your position to force package authors to do
> *anything* here? If I want to put some code up for Python users to use
> why do I have to follow some arbitrary rules imposed by fiat?
>
> I've said it over and over again: PyPI is a catalog. It's a list of
> Python packages. Anything more dilutes the purpose and turns it into
> something political.

Because the users of the service have actually requested that it works
this way. PyPI has grown features over time because of user requests,
such as hosting files (which it originally didn't do - it was a mere
catalog, not a repository), and (more recently) hosting documentation.
Do you think file hosting turns it into something political?