[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Apr 6 01:03:08 CEST 2011

At 10:42 PM 4/5/2011 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> >> In any case, the community had agreed to to allow rating but to
> >> make commenting optional (at the package author's choice). I don't
> >> see what has changed since.
> >
> > Who is this "community" you speak of, and when and where did "they"
> > agree?
>
>We performed a user poll, which came with the status quo.

IIRC, that poll had a poor design and a biased
interpretation.  Properly interpreted, the vast majority of votes
were for *other* solutions than the status quo.

(In other words, the apparent superiority of this choice was an
illusion created by the "no" votes being split between other alternatives.)