[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 6 01:50:26 CEST 2011

> One important feature missing is that the Amazon review system has
> *always* had a back-channel for removing unhelpful reviews; in the
> beginning, it was simply the ability for authors and publishers to ask
> Amazon to remove them, and later, the "did you find this helpful?"
> buttons were added.

I'd be willing to add that - although I doubt it would make Jacob happy.
In any case, it's certainly possible to ask for the removal of outright
spam. Regular "unhelpful" reviews shouldn't be removed, IMO, but rather
marked as such - which is possible through the option of rebuttal.

> In contrast, PyPI's comment system much more closely resembles YouTube
> in its physical and social structure for comments...  and likewise, the
> comments it gets more closely resemble YouTube comments than they do
> Amazon reviews.

These are all important things to consider, and I'd be willing to change
it, assuming catalog-sig would then accept the feature, instead of
challenging it every two years.